Thursday, February 17, 2005

baby needs a new pair of shoes

Lately, I've been feeling pretty judgmental of some folks in my family, pretty frustrated with the way they are (or, more aptly, are NOT) handling certain things. I've also been feeling a bit taken advantage of by folks at work who seem to expect more and more of me with less and less compensation as time marches on.

So, how do you use writing in a constructive way to deal with this? Think of that one friend or relative to whom you so often want to say, "If you only knew what it was like to be me." Now switch it--write as if you were spending a day walking in his/her shoes. Here's the hard part: you have to maintain the other person's point of view without succumbing to sarcasm. Be sincere and use one of writing's greatest tools: empathy. For at least ten writing minutes, live in the skin of the one who most frustrates you and see what happens.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

Home