Monday, February 21, 2005

speaking out

When I was in the eighth grade, I adored my English teacher. She was funny and friendly, and I looked forward to her class each and every day. However, I gradually discovered that the regard was not mutual. Once, I shared with her a poem I had written several years earlier. The poem tackled a mature subject, drug addiction, but I'd seen enough tv to feel relatively confident in addressing it. My teacher, however, questioned how I could have written it, and implied that I had not. Later in the year, when I won the school essay contest, she expressed great surprise and actually said, "Well, I guess there weren't that many entries."

Have you ever had a teacher who you feel treated you unfairly, or who squelched your creative spirit? Isn't it time to get it all out in the open? Write a letter to that teacher, and go for broke. Say what you always wanted to say, but never could when you were the student. Now's the time to free yourself from that critical little voice that's kept you from realizing your writing potential.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

Home