Thursday, February 24, 2005

the perfect sandwich

Years ago, when I was enrolled in a fiction writing course, we were collectively whining about writer's block. We lamented the stalled plot, the character we could no longer direct or empathize with, etc., etc. Amidst the self-pity, I remember a friend saying simply, "Whenever I get stuck, I just have my character make a sandwich." We started to laugh, but then realized our classmate wasn't laughing. He smiled instead. "You know, everyone makes a sandwich differently. It gets 'em moving, and before you know it, your story's up and running again."

Since then, several of my characters have made their own sandwiches, from PB & J to triple-deckers. The sandwiches rarely remain a part of the story, but my friend's core advice, "get your character moving," has helped many a stalled plot.

Try it for yourself. Choose a character, and observe as he or she performs some everyday ritual or task, such as making a sandwich, cleaning out a refrigerator, smoking a cigarette, etc. You may be surprised at the extraordinary character insights you discover through ordinary actions.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

Home