Sunday, April 17, 2005

old friends

I have been remiss in my updates lately. Work has intruded, and with only a little more than a month until summer break, I have to acknowledge and bow to Work's demands. But I want to offer something here, some gesture of good will and the reassurance that I am indeed coming back--eventually.

Lately, I've found myself rereading old, beloved books. This weekend I read one of my favorites from high school--Illusions by Richard Bach. As I read, I felt as though I was reconnecting with old friends. I laughed aloud, teared up, and probably enjoyed the novel even more than I had in high school. Reading it again was a delightful experience.

And now I've begun to reread Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird, a wonderful must-read for writers. What amazes me is how much I forget in between my readings, and how much joy I get in rediscovering the beauty and truth these writers have to offer. To me, that's good writing--writing that stands up to multiple readings, that still feels fresh almost 30 years later (like Bach).

What books have you read and reread in your lifetime? Share with us all the books that bring you joy, the books that make you yearn to put words on the page.

1 comment(s):

  • The Ladies of Missalonghi, by Colleen McCollough. It has possibly the best surprise ending of any book I've ever read. The book is gentle, sweet, and beautifully written. You can finish it in an evening, easily. I highly recommend it.

    By Blogger ~Jan, at 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Home